Tuesday, November 18, 2008

A Place to Slow Down

The start of the Christmas season is upon us. I guess to be politically correct, I should say holiday season. Either way, the rush is on. I have received my copies of all the December editions of my magazine subscriptions and one underlying topic blared across each page in every magazine. Apparently, people are stressed, have no time, no patience, a full calendar, are accumulating holiday dept by the second, and feel that that the Christmas season (uh, holiday season) is the most stressful time of the whole year. What a shame!

These articles go hand in hand with articles in every parenting and lifestyle magazine where they depict (mostly) mothers as being harried, over extended, cab drivers attempting to live their life with children as they lived their life before children. Articles about how to decorate your house so that it is chic and or funky and provides no evidence of children (One headline actually said "Your home: It doesn't have to look like kids live there!"), how to create a family schedule that is easy to follow so that you don't forget to pick up your children and how to save minutes on every task so that you have an extra ten minutes to play with your child.

I'm a pretty old school parent and a traditionalist at heart. I believe in a society that focuses on the goodness of people and the challenges they can face when they work together. I also believe that we are losing a lot of the precious minutes/hours/days of life as we live our lives as those people depicted in all those magazines. And while I don't think there are many of me around in this day and age, I do believe that we are a breed that is rising again. We aren't perfect, we aren't always beautifully put together, be we are in fact real.

This blog will be dedicated to my thoughts on the fast lane that society is seemingly obsessed about, from the slow lane that I tend to live my life in. It will be about the rewards of my life as a mom, wife and as an individual of society who really just wants things to be easy again.

No comments: